Higher Degrees by Research (HDR)
A strong nexus between research, teaching and learning underpins the structure of our HDR programs.
Our programs are benchmarked with other Go8 universities, and our international collaborations in research introduce broader issues (UNESCO and OECD reports, TIMSS and PISA studies) into our theory and practice of education.
What is the process of applying for a PhD?
- First read the information on this page, as well as the Adelaide Graduate Centre Future Students page.
- Contact a prospective supervisor.
*Please Note: Correspondence with a supervisor is only one stage of your application process and does not guarantee that the supervisor will be available by the time your application is received.
- Apply formally through the Adelaide Graduate Centre
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I choose a supervisor?
You can choose a supervisor from the HDR Supervision Areas by matching your research proposal with the research interest of one of the members of academic staff.
You can still submit an application to the Adelaide Graduate Centre. In some circumstances we will subsequently be able to find a suitable supervisor for you. Importantly if we feel that your research proposal does not match the research interests and expertise of academic staff within the School then we may decline your application, so please consult the list of staff supervision areas carefully.
- Submitting a Research Proposal.
As part of the application process you will need to complete the Adelaide Graduate Centre Admission Research Proposal Template.
Please send this research proposal to your proposed supervisor. Even if you r application is not successful, you can use the information from the proposal to apply to another university.
- What if I can't identify a suitable supervisor?
You can still submit an application to the Adelaide Graduate Centre. In some circumstances we may subsequently be able to find a suitable supervisor for you. Importantly, however, if we feel that your research proposal does not match the research interests and expertise of academic staff within the School then we may decline your application, so please consult the list of staff supervision areas carefully.
- Checklist to Prepare Your Application.
Please send the following documents to your proposed supervisor:
1. Current Curriculum vitae
2. Degree parchments
3. Academic Transcripts. The transcript(s) should include details of your social research experience in terms of research courses or projects undertaken. Read more information on entry requirements.
4. If English is not your first language, evidence of a sufficient level of English language.For IELTS, you need an overall band score of 7.0, with minimum band scores of 7.0 in Writing and Speaking AND 6.5 in Listening and Reading.
Read more information on English proficiency:
5. A research proposal of 1000 words. Please refer to the guidelines Submitting a Research Proposal